Selamat siang everybody!
So as you might already know, we are smack in the middle of the rainy season here in Indonesia. The rainy season usually lasts for 7 months, between November and May. Back in November, it only rained in the afternoon, but now it typically rains at least 3-5 times a day. I’m not talking about little sprinkles here or there, either. I’m talking buckets, cats & dogs, monsoon-style; rain the likes of which I have never experienced before. Sometimes it feels as if we are living directly under a ginormous waterfall. So, in honor of musim hujan, I have complied a short list of things we have experienced thus far during rainy season. Enjoy!
- Pro: The sweet melody of rain on a tin roof
- Con: The roof leaks, leaving a forgotten pool of water on the floor to slip and fall on later
- Pro: A sweat-free walk to your neighbor’s house
- Con: You forgot your umbrella
- Pro: Rain lulling you to sleep at night
- Con: Rain waking you up at 4 in the morning
- Pro: More frequent mati lampu (blackouts) –> your computer battery dies –> you don’t have to work –> Hurray!
- Con: More frequent mati lampu –> your computer battery dies –> you can’t watch movies either –> Wahhh wahhh.
- Pro: Water a plenty for bathing/washing clothes
- Con: Watch out for the tiny leeches!
- Pro: No sun = significantly cooler weather
- Con: No sun = mold on your underwear
- Pro: You can finally put all that deet you brought to good use!
- Con: You will probably still get Dengue fever
- Pro: The forest becomes a magnificent, verdant eden that you can’t wait to go explore (after the morning rain, of course)
- Con: The pythons agree with you
- Pro: When the sun finally peeks out, you revel in the beauty of mother earth’s glorious creation and thank your lucky stars that you waited 3 weeks to do laundry
- Con: You complain about the heat, and so does everyone else…for a week after the sun is gone
- Pro: But at least your laundry is dry
- Pro: More free time for data entry
- Con: More free time for data entry